Cigna is one of the largest insurance companies in the world. It is a North American company that has been in the business of corporate medical insurance since 1937. Cigna came to the UK in 1991 and has made a successful presence in the British insurance market. Its insurance products are in medical, dental, absence management, group life, international expatriate benefits and health management.
Dental Insurance Plan
Cigna offers four types of dental plans only on a group basis. These plans are Crystal, Opal, Pearl and Diamond. According to Cigna Dental, all four plans are ‘affordable private dental treatments’. Whatever dental plan your employer chooses, you have the choice of going to your own dentist. Moreover pre-dental examination is not needed for any of the plans as the coverage is arranged by your company.
- Crystal plan: This is the cheapest of the four dental plans. You can have your dental bill reimbursed till £600 annually.
Opal plan: This plan will reimburse up to £800 per year. It provides coverage for preventative treatment, minor and major treatments.
- Preventative treatment that ranges from £4-£66. This treatment includes routine checkups, x-rays, polishing, scaling and splints.
- Minor treatment that ranges from £5-£64 and comprises of: amalgam fillings, composite fillings, root canal treatment, single extraction and re-cementing of crowns and bridges.
- Major treatment ranges from £13-£161 and includes dentures, veneers, bridges, crown and inlays.
Pearl plan: This plan is a mid-range dental insurance plan that will cover your dental expenses to the maximum limit of £1000 annually.
- Preventative treatment from £4.50-£100
- Minor treatment from £8-£100
- Major treatment from £20-£250
Diamond plan: This plan is the most expensive of group dental insurance as it will recover your dental expenses of up to £1500 annually.
- Preventative treatments that include routine checkups, x-rays, polishing, scaling, splints and has a premium range of £7-£142.
- Minor treatments comprise of amalgam/composite fillings, root canal treatment, extractions, and re-fixing crowns/bridges. The premium price of these treatments ranges from £25-£181.
- Major treatment ranges from £25-£432 and includes dentures, veneers, bridges, crown and inlays.
- Any preventative treatment ranges from £9 - £165.
- Minor treatment ranges from £18 - £231.
- Major treatment ranges from £38 - £618.
All four dental plans include the following coverage :
- 2 examinations (normal and extensive)
- 2 scaling along with polish
- 4 x rays
- 4 quadrants of periodontal treatment (fissure sealant, splints, fillings, single extractions)
- Cosmetic treatments
- Surgical implants
- Replacement of lost or stolen dental appliances such as dentures
- Orthodontic treatment such as braces
- Mouth guards
- Any hospital treatments
Most people have a good experience with Cigna dental insurance. Here is what customers have to say at dental insurance forums.
- “I have Cigna dental insurance and I like it. So far most procedures that I have had done have either been at no charge or for a low co-pay. I’ve never had dental insurance before but I seem to have hit the mark with Cigna.”
- “They have a long list of procedures and what you have to pay for them when you go to a participating location, so there’s not a rude surprise when you’re done at the dentist. Changing dentists couldn’t be easier. I just called them up and they were very friendly and helpful, the entire procedure took just a few minutes. I really can’t say anything bad about Cigna at this time. They appear to be good solid insurance, at least for Dental Insurance.”
- Another customer said that Cigna gave decent coverage for orthodontics on the dental plan while another client claimed that the dental insurance of Cigna was better than its medical insurance.
All in all Cigna offers a very comprehensive dental insurance with a huge range of premium prices that can fit everyone’s budget, especially the employers’.