You might think the travel insurance companies are unnecessary even though everywhere you go you will find pamphlets for insurance of every kind. In some cases a genuine need arises and it is prudent that you buy an insurance policy. One such need is in the case of traveling abroad so you must understand the need for direct travel insurance.
Direct Travel Insurance
A travel insurance policy should be directly obtained from the insurance company to safeguard you from injury, damage or theft that may happen during your business travel or vacation. Loss and theft while traveling can include private belongings like cash, traveler’s checks, documents, driver’s permit, credit cards, cell phone, trinkets and passport.
Reasons for Direct Travel Insurance
Direct travel insurance gives you wide coverage such as health emergency, last minute trip cancellation and medical repatriation. This is especially practical when you are going on a major travel expedition such as a Mediterranean cruise or a travel/study tour. Undertaking such a huge trip is a major expense and its best that you get direct travel insurance policy for unexpected emergencies.
- Heart attack, accident and food poisoning are some examples of health emergencies. These are good reasons for having a direct travel insurance policy.
- Last minute cancellations that happen because of the airline or cruise company can result in a huge financial loss. This loss is no fault of yours, but having direct travel insurance somewhat softens the unexpected blow.
- If you get stranded on a skiing trip or a mountaineering expedition, you will require a medical repatriation. A travel insurance policy which covers rescue and repatriation enables you to be recovered quickly and safely.
- Besides major medical disasters during your trip, a direct travel insurance policy will provide coverage for you and your family in case you happen to misplace your travel documents, jewelry or any type of personal belongings. Although many hotels and rest houses have installed CCTV cameras and have personal safes, it is advised that you take out a travel insurance policy for such items. Better safe than sorry.
- Since winter sports are a favorite holiday activity for many British travel goers, insurance companies give coverage for winter sports equipment. One sport that is popularly covered by direct travel insurers is skiing. Skiing equipment is quite expensive, so if it does get misplaced or damaged or stolen, your winter sports policy will cover it.